[OM] Re: Professional slide scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: Professional slide scanning
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:57:35 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> Now I know I'm a fussy purist, but for my best shots, I want
>> an uncompressed, 16-bit image. To be fair, compression can be
>> fine if one doesn't want to do any further work on them. And
>> 8-bit can be just fine IF - the higher tonal
>>
> As I mentioned the other day, the Nikon scanner in 8-bit mode is
> purty good. If I know I'm going to be cranking the curves all
> over the place or going to B&W with the image, I might use the
> higher bit depth, but rarely.

My answer made a clear assumption based on the original question:
> Truth to tell, only a small percentage of the slides I've shot are
> worth scanning so I'm wondering if it might not be better to let the
> pros do it.

In the context of having one's best shots scanned, I answered as best I
could based on my own experience. For mine, I want to capture
everything, to give me the maximum possibilities for realizing the
version I imagine. As you have pointed out before, you use VueScan,
rather than NikonScan and, as I recall, often or usually go 16-bit for
your fine art images.

Had the question been about simply getting a decent library of images
from all keepers, I would have said something else.

Moose