[OM] Re: Ot..computer probs

Subject: [OM] Re: Ot..computer probs
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:59:55 -0500
JOHN DUGGAN wrote:

> Have become infected with a browser hijacker and other problems I just cannot
> get rid of. Norton system works pro cannot find it and I am going round in
> circles. keeps giving
> me the message that computer is infected...and points me towards site selling
> removal tools for
> only $37. spybot seems to find it, says it has killed it BUT it comes back at
> startup.

Usually the -- er, vermin -- who write these hijackers are too smart
for this, but can you start Windows in Safe mode? Even just holding
down the Shift key once you reboot and get past the memory check may
help get you into Windows so you can get some of the tools Moose
mentioned. Also, you don't have your Web browser set up to start
automatically with Windows, do you? And what version of Windows are
you using anyway? Do you have a boot disk for it?

Steve