[OM] Re: The 5D and manual focus OM lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: The 5D and manual focus OM lenses
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
I have not been following this thread so maybe this is redundant.

Chuck wrote:
>>Before futzing around with focusing screen shims to reposition the
screen I decided that I should be able to accomplish the same thing
(perhaps) by deliberately misadjusting the diopter control.
<<
Chuck in general , I would guess you can't adjust the diopter and hope to help
a misplaced screen.
The diopter is to help your eyes focus correctly to the distance of the screen
(output side). If
the image on the input side "ground glass" is not correctly placed on intput
side, it should not
help to misfocus the outpout on the already unsharp image at what would be the
true focus point.
Maybe there could be some effect if the screen is so clear it does not form a
true conjugate image
plane at the screen location?  Does not seem likely.

I think the issue in general if everything is correctly adjusted, is the focus
screens chosen in
auto-focus DSLRS, do not have designs suitable for manual focus anyway, with
the correct
coraseness of structure or focus aids like split prism etc.

Tim Hughes