[OM] Re: newbie questions on the LS 4000ED

Subject: [OM] Re: newbie questions on the LS 4000ED
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:59:23 +1000
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Well I've done it. Bought it second hand, and well but heavily used. Paid
> USD400 and waiting for a new MA-20 replacement, soon to arrive.
> While testing it I rised a couple of questions:
> 1- while scanning, the machine makes some continuous noise. I don't know if
> too loud a noise, but certainly more noise than I had supposed it to make.
> Not a silent machine anyway. Seems that it's noisier when the computer is on
> the low-power side ('processor dependent noise' firewire [IEEE1394]
> connnection). Wasn't able to compare it to the new 5000 at its side.
> 2- how is it that the software has a separate option available for scanning
> Kodachrome positives ....
> No answers to my questions, so please help. You all know how does one feel
> when buying one of this second hand thingies, don't you. Well it feels worse
> if you were in my shoes :)

Moose pretty well answered your questions.  My LS 4000ED makes weird
noises while scanning too.  Lots of hums, whirrs and clicks.  And my
second-hand unit (via oboy of course) has had little use, is virtually new.

I'd second Moose's suggestion about using ICE with Kodachrome.  I've
been scanning a bunch of 30-40 year old Kodachromes and it's saved me a
heap of time not having to clone out scratches and fungus growth.

It's a great scanner Fernando, spend some time experimenting, it's the
fastest way to learn about the beast.

Andrew McPhee