[OM] Re: What's up on this list???

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up on this list???
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:27:18 +0100
Stuart Robinson wrote:
> I agree with you Moose. I'm a relative newbie to this list but am on
> others of varying topics. One of them for motorcycles of a specific
> type, after a while you get on with most everyone, treat each other as
> friends &, as friends can talk about pretty much anything.

I think lists and the people on them evolve with time. One of the
reasons I went the om route was the existance of this list and the
saftey blanket of knowing that if I had problems I could get answers. I
asked quite a few questions and bought a reasonable amount of stuff from
list members and had invaluable help from several list members which
saved me a lot of money. For me the questions have been asked, the gear
purchased now and I am happy to add a few comments here and there about
things I have some experience of and browse the list for anything
interesting.

I think the reality is that if this list tries to be pure and analog it
will slowly die as more and more people go digital or have other things
in their lives. If the list tries to serve both analoge and digital then
I think its inevitable that we have questions about computer technology,
scanners, printers etc because its part of the work flow the same way we
had debates about dark rooms, camera film etc. - its natural. I teach
computer scince at uni and in general hate computers and computer
technology. But I scan film and print on a printer because my
circumstances do not allow me to have a darkroom.

So to summaries I see this list having several important roles - suport
and knowledge base, interesting discussion and debate and in a way a
snapshoot of what and who people are, their hobby and the state of
photography and life.

Regards
James