[OM] Re: [OT] Lighting

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Lighting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:58:16 -0700
Johann Thorsson wrote:
> This is the least OT topic I have seen here so far!

Oh my, what a bad bunch we've been. :-)

And welcome to the list!
> I'm wondering, what type of reflector would you recommend for macro
> photography?  I am thinking about something rather small/compact which is
> easy to transport or take when hiking and could still be fastened somehow to
> a tripod.  Any sugestions?

Depending on what kind of lighting you are looking for, that's what the
various Oly macro flashes are for. The subject distances are so short
for macro that it's pretty hard to use light from behind without being
shadowed by photographer, so smaller light sources from in front of the
photographer are useful. Also, macro takes a fair amount of light over a
small area, the opposite of what umbrellas do. There's a lot more
expertise in this are on the list than I have. but you can start by
checking out the macro flashes on the eSIF, the T Power control,and T8,
T10 and T28 macro flash heads
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup.htm>.

There are so many kinds to provide for different lighting effects.

There's also some such stuff for the E-thingies, that I know nothing
about. I believe Walt has the ring flash.

Moose