[OM] Re: What's up on this list???

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up on this list???
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 03:11:59 -0700
Wayne Culberson wrote:
> Wayne (who will probably be going to Bolivia again in August, and is still
> stuck with only a C5050. I need something better/different, but what?)

I'd be taking a Fuji f30. Much smaller and lighter, amazing battery life
and fast - fast startup, fast AF, no shutter lag in normal mode, fast
write times. Real macro, 1:1.4*, with fastish focus in macro mode. Will
focus in the dark with the AF assist lamp. Same zoom range. The 5050
lens is a stop faster, but the amazing higher iso performance of the F30
makes it a much more capable low light camera. No full manual, but does
have aperture preferred and shutter preferred modes, spot metering and
EV compensation without going into the menus. No MF, but the AF is
really good.

Doesn't use AA batteries, so you might need a car or solar charger.
Although the battery life is really good, Fuji estimates 580 shots on a
charge. I'm not sure I would rely on that, but it does last a long time.
Also, no way to mount a filter.

$340 at B&H , then use the $50 rebate to pay for the new, high speed Oly
1gb xD card. 680 or so images in Normal mode, 340+ in Fine. It may not
look like a real, serious camera compared to something like the 5050,
but it really is.

Moose

*calculated not in the conventional way, but as the ratio its minimum
field of view would be on 35mm. In other words, the way most of us think
of it.