[OM] Re: [OT] Lighting

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Lighting
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:26:39 -0400
Well, there's macro and then there's close-up photography.  If all you
want to do is take some pictures of some pretty blossoms (as opposed to
the bug crawling around inside) a small, collapsible reflector is
probably a good choice to fill the shadows.  I'm partial to the "Impact"
brand sold at B&H because they're inexpensive and seem well made.  You
can also find this type of reflector by the thousands on ebay but I
don't have any specifics about quality or specific suppliers.

Here's a 12" which may be a bit small
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=358609&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
or a 22" which I'd guess may be be better suited to a few blossoms
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=358610&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

These collapsible reflectors come in many sizes and configurations.
After spending about 4 days trying to figure out how to properly fold
one you'll find that they fold up to 1/3 of their open diameter for
fitting into a soft zippered case.  I'm guessing you can fit a 7" disc
into your pack somewhere.

I've shown you translucent discs which can be used as a reflector for
fill or as a filter to cut the direct sun.  They also come in opaque
white, silver, gold and black (an anti-reflector) with a color on each
side.  The larger ones may have a translucent disc and then a four-way
reversible cover to provide white, black, gold and silver.

Gold/white
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=358625&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
Ah, here's one with reversible cover.  I didn't know 22" was available.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=358606&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

You mentioned attaching a reflector to your tripod.  I think you might
be better off using the self-timer on the camera or a remote release
while you hold the reflector.  You're much more agile than any type of
reflector grip/support and you don't require any ancillary hardware to
grip the reflector.

Chuck Norcutt