[OM] flashes with bugs

Subject: [OM] flashes with bugs
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:35:05 -0500
As the OM list's resident entomologist (I presume--is there another
one?), I suggest shying away from using a ring flash with insects in the
wild--the shadow-less lighting may not be the best, and a ring flash can
leave really unnatural C-shaped reflections if the insect's body surface
is shiny.  There was a horrible example of this on the cover of the
journal Science a few years ago--the shot was of several shiny ants, and
each ant had glaring white C-shaped markings on its body from the ring
flash.   (Ahh, not that any of my macro shots have made the cover of
Science,,,,,,,)
    I have used two T20's on a Lepp II Dual Flash Bracket.  This allows
for placing the flashes behind the front of the lens, something that the
T28 Twin mounting ring (yes, the hard one to find) doesn't do.
Unfortunately, the Lepp II bracket is no longer made, and I haven't seen
any on our auction site.
    I posted an explanation of my macro set-up for shooting butterflies
a couple years ago.  Here I use a single T32 mounted off-camera on a
Bogen Magic Arm.  This set-up works very well for butterflies, even the
smallest ones, and it also works well for many other insects and
spiders.  I have to get to my old computer, now disconnected, to find
this posting; sorry.
Dean (aka Wetbugs)