[OM] Re: ? on B&W photography

Subject: [OM] Re: ? on B&W photography
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:10:53 -0700 (PDT)
> I want to produce some black & white photos, but haven't  done
> any B&W in 25 years. I'm wondering what would be the best
> route to come  up with the end product I want (B&W prints &
> digital files): shoot with  a traditional B&W neg
> film and have longer processing time, shoot with a  C-41 B&W
> film to get the faster processing time at a local minilab, or
> shoot  color and then convert to B&W in my computer, which
> I've never done. I have  a KM Scan Elite 5400 II and
> Photoshop Elements 3 for computer  manipulation.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, teacher I know, I know...

I'll tell you what this B&W technogeek does now.  I'm shooting
Ilford XP2 (bought a ton of it from B&H) and just having it
processed by the local 1-hour Wal-Mart minilab. XP2 scans very
well and has gobs of shoulder and toe. What I appreciate about
XP2 is that you can use it in the analog darkroom where it makes
outstanding enlargements.

I've used the Kodak versions, of which Portra and T400CN scan
well but are gut-wrench in the analog darkroom.

If, you decide to use a real B&W film, I highly recommend Ilford
Delta 400 processed in Ilfotec DD-X. This is by far the best
scanning film I've ever used and is extremely flexible in
push/pull processing.

PanF is an ultra-fine grained film that easily exceeds most
lenses ability to resolve fine details. Delta 100 is slightly
grainier but has better bite. Delta 100 does scan much better
than PanF because of the frosted base.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com