[OM] Re: ? on B&W photography

Subject: [OM] Re: ? on B&W photography
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:39:41 -0500
1. You can carefully select a B&W film for it's unique character, and
process it yourself with a specific developer selected for its character. If
you don't process it yourself, it will likely get overdeveloped, as most
commercial labs tend that direction. Most use either D76, or more likely
Xtol. You should be familiar with the lab and film/developer combination for
best results.

2. Chromogenic film is a good option when you can't develop your own. I
prefer Ilford XP1, as it doesn't have the orange mask that makes darkroom
prints difficult. If you are not wet-printing, the Kodak film is fine. Both
give fairly predictable. Beware that overexposed XP1 gets really flat really
fast.

3. You can convert color film several different ways, but I've never been
thrilled with the results. It just isn't the same. Sometimes it's very good,
but I wouldn't count on that.

Bill Pearce