[OM] Re: 500/5.6 Rubinar / MTO Catadioptric lens

Subject: [OM] Re: 500/5.6 Rubinar / MTO Catadioptric lens
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:33:40 -0700
I found some comments on epinions.com in a review of the Sigma 600/8. The
writer had a strong preference for the Sigma but thought the Pro Optic
500/5.6 was better than most 3rd party lenses. His comments didn't go much
beyond

"- the only real competition to this lens is the "Pro-Optic" lens which is
basically a telescope 500mm f5.6 lens that is mounted to SLR bodies via a
threaded t-mount adapter"

It does sound like you have something useful ;-) The mirror lenses can be
frustrating compared to a big refractor but when I think of them as of as a
special purpose tool, I find they can be fun. I think a lot of the lack of
contrast associated with the cat lenses is often in large part from the
amount of air the light is traveling through. Super telephoto shots in
general suffer from reduced contrast.

Brian's great picture with the huge mountain looming above Christchurch
shows both how captivating a super telephoto shot can be and how
frustrating. Being able to manipulate that one picture would be reason
enough to read a book or two on photoshop ... or at least challenge Moose to
see what he can do.

-jeff