[OM] Re: shooting

Subject: [OM] Re: shooting
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:29:13 -0300

> What's with the muzzle loader.  Looks like it's got a pretty stubby
> barrel.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

The hexagon shape might be making it look shorter. As well there is no
action on a muzzle loader, so the gun is shorter overall. But actually the
barrel is 26 or 28 inches I think - its too early in the morning to go
measure it, so is longer than the normal 20 to 24 inches of other modern
type rifles. I know many muzzle loaders had very long barrels, I suppose to
give more time for the slower burning black powder to burn, but this one in
the picture is a reproduction Hawken type, which were shorter.
Wayne