[OM] Re: Torlesse - more for explanation

Subject: [OM] Re: Torlesse - more for explanation
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:41:58 -0700
Although I suggested modifying your picture, I also like it as it is. The
white snow covered mountains immediately reminded me of the Mt.
Williamson(?) image by Ansel Adams. I don't know what or even if he did
anything to that image but it has quite high contrast. If I remember
correctly the foothills had a very dark band with the brilliant white peaks
looming up above. The foreground was also a mixture of sun and shadows on a
field (just north of Mono Lake but dry high desert air). I have a large
poster of the image but it is hanging in a different house at the moment.

I think Moose did a good job of showing that your image can be pushed to a
very different extreme. I happen to live in an area with a lot of haze and
frequent fog. Some of my favorite scenes do not have the high contrast of
the Ansel Adams image I mentioned. Your image seemed like one that could be
made into several very fine yet very different pictures. Some images seem to
have only one way to look good. Others, such as yours, seem to inspire
creating different views.

Brian, you were in the right place at the right time and created an
excellent image. One that impels me to do a lot of thinking about both the
image and photography. That's one of the things I hope to get whenever I
look at an image. I've probably looked at your picture more than I do at
most of my own. I'm glad you posted it and hopefully I've made it clear that
it doesn't need to be changed but inspires a lot of thinking ...

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all

Pictures might explain better than words. Two more added at

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/recent2.htm

to illustrate why and how I got where I did with my manual lens images.

Brian