[OM] Re: Protective Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Protective Filters
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:23:02 -0700
The pushing of UV filters by camera dealers is based on the idea that
you will never see the difference, usually. I have used UV filters at
high altitude with slide film where they tend make the shadows less
blue.  But a UV filter is not a color balancing filter that conquers
mid day bluishness. I have plenty of bluish, high noon mountain pass
shots with black shadows. Since scanning and digital post processing
have become the norm there is no reason at all to use a UV filter, in
my opinion and some good reasons not to.

A polarizer makes the sky bluer in your image because it is reducing
the exposure by filtering out visible polarized light, the amount
depending on which direction you point it. There should not be any
cancellation effect because they are doing different things. I will
join the others in advising you to not stack them. Leave both off the
lens until you want the special effect the polarizer will give you
and then put it on.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA