[OM] no Alaska shots :-(

Subject: [OM] no Alaska shots :-(
From: Russ Butler <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:35:15 -0400
We just returned from our motorcycle trip to Alaska from NJ and it was
super. Alaska and the ride up and down thru MT, BC and the Yukon are
incredibly beautiful. Snow capped mountains were in view for 19 of
the 33 day trip!

Unfortunately I don't have any OM shots to share as my OM-1n failed in
route. I was bumbed for a while, but the scenery and the fact that the
eyes are superb cameras kept me happy. And my wife had the stylus and
she got plenty of shots. (How she does it I'll never know. The majority
are taken on the fly, while she sits behind me, with a full face helmet
on. Guess she could have been a combat photographer.)

Anyway, here's what happened with the Om-1n:
I bought the body (along with too many others) on ebay last fall.
Pedigree unknown. Used this particular one all winter (~40 rolls)
without a hitch. The camera was carried on the bike, (as it had been in
my pickup and car all winter) in a lowerpro padded (perhaps not well
enuf) case which was placed in with other stuff in a saddlebag.

I took one shot in Thunder Bay and all was well. On an attempt a day or
so later, I put the camera up to eye and the mirror was up. Weird I
thought, re-cocked, fired and the mirror hung. On later examination I
found that the shutter was not firing or being cocked properly as a
transport string/cord end was visible. I concluded this was unlikely by
design and less likely to be fixed by me in the field, put the camera
back in the case, and continued on the trip.

There were at least four likely stupid acts on my part that I can think of:
1. selected 1n vs 2n or 2s (against most listers' advice)
(only excuse is that I prefer the 1n and can see the exposure better
with eyeglasses; 2n is ok in that regard, but I have trouble with the
leds on the 2s)
2. carried the camera with the shutter cocked
3. selected a body that hadn't been CLA'd
4. was too casual about protecting the camera from the vibrations and
jolts of a long motorcycle trip

Any additions to my 'stupid' list &/or suggestions for preventing this
in the future are VERY welcome as I will try again.

Thanks for lending an ear.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)