[OM] Re: Protective Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Protective Filters
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:15:17 -0600
Walt Wayman (in response to Bart Wientjes) wrote:
> Well, let's see.  "Commando" is defined, at least in one definition in the
> Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, as a military unit trained and
> organized as shock troops, especially for hit-and-run raids into enemy
> territory; also a member of such a unit.  Therefore, I assume its usage in
> this context means an aggresive attitude of boldly going forward to get the
> job done and letting the devil take the hindmost.  The gear can take care of
> itself and be replaced if it don't.
>
> In military parlance, however, it's sometimes a derrogatory term, used to
> refer derisively to those with non-combat duty assignments who stay in the
> rear with the gear, as in "rear-echelon commando" or "USO commando."  I don't
> think that applies at all to the bold and brave photographers here who charge
> into the world with their front elements going nekkid before them.

[snip]

Bart:

Walt's excellent definitions aside, it's also a slang term in North
American English used by people to speak of someone who wears pants
and/or skirts without underwear or other "protection."  Like the young
lady I saw walking down the street about a week ago.  ;-)

"Going commando" in the context of your lens would mean "without filter
coverage."  Slang terms always seem to cause the most problems on this
List -- I for one keep forgetting that the audience is global, even if
they all read/write "standard" English well.

Garth