[OM] Re: #124

Subject: [OM] Re: #124
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:53:59 -0700
GeeBee wrote:
> Hi Moose,
>
> Nice shots! I'm guessing the 28 - 300 lens was at the long end :-)

218 mm for the crow, 300 mm for the sparrow, but both are cropped a fair
amount.
> I have to persevere more, be more patient, whatever..

One trick is simply that we were in a State Preserve, where the critters
are less shy than in other places. Another is that iso 1600 lets me
wander around and shoot handheld at those focal lengths. And the low
noise of the sensor allows crops that wouldn't work with film. So I
cheated, from one perspective. From another, I chose tools to do the job
that made it easier.
> I have a 300mm Tamron 2.8 but I lean towards boosting it with extenders.
> Your shots are evidence that 300mm is enough and next time out it will be
> me, the OM2 SP and the 300mm only. Maybe I can fill the hours waiting for a
> decent bird shot with a bit of 300mm landscape photography :-)

Sounds good. Those I posted are pure opportunity shots on an hours long
wander that included many other subjects. The wildflowers were in bloom,
cormorants and gulls nesting and harbor seals, sea lions, ground
squirrels, lizards and deer were variously about. Missed the rabbit,
though. You won't believe the sea otter shots. I had several long
distance ones and we were leaving when instinct had me turn and go to
another cove. And there was an otter foraging right near shore in quiet
water.

Well, maybe you will. Here's a very nice one
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/LobosOtter2.htm>.

Moose