[OM] Re: Somebody stop me, please....

Subject: [OM] Re: Somebody stop me, please....
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:18:04 -0700 (PDT)
Well, the outragous deals are about the same price as the E-1
right now. With lens.  We're talking sub $700.

> How about a good old Ben Franklin 'Pos/Neg' comparison between
> the two systems based on your criteria?  If it better serves
> your needs, why not make the switch?

The problem is that for me, the emotional aspect usually
outweighs any rationality. It's like automobiles. If we were
strictly rational in our decision we'd all be buying Toyota
Siennas. (Canon 5D).

I *could* go about an A/B +/- comparison, but what exactly would
that prove?  I know the user interface (it's similar to the
A1's, only better), it takes the same batteries as my A1, it has
the anti-shake like the A1, it has the same outstanding control
mix and menu system as the A1. It even takes better pictures
than the A1.  Oh, and the viewfinder--what a viewfinder.  But
it's not as robust as the E-1, nor does it take my old Zuiko
glass. (but there is a lot of terrific Minolta and Tokina glass
to put on it). It also has a lot more AF points than the E-1.
Now with Sony kicking out new rebadged KM cameras with what
appears to be a committment to being a front-runner, it might be
a safe bet.

> Have you actually shot with a 7D?  I've never even seen one in
> person.

Yes, I've "played" with one. Drool. Minolta got the UI right.
Olympus could stand to learn a few lessons there. This is one
very fine operating camera that "inspires" the photographer. It
isn't just a picture taking machine, but a camera that
ENCOURAGES the creative approach to photography.  Somebody at
Minolta was an Ansel Adams fan, because the camera is almost
"Zone System" like.

I have a feeling that when history is written regarding the
early DSLR days, that the 7D will be regarded as a classic and
be listed in the top-10 most influential cameras.  Just like the
20D, I expect the 5D to be a footnote in history due to Canon's
early-obsolescence program. (5DmII expected this fall). Out of
the dozens of EOS bodies, which are highly regarded today?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com