[OM] Re: Walt dares criticize Moose photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Walt dares criticize Moose photos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:16:32 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:
> I'm probably going to regret this, but it won't be even the 100th time that's
> happened.  I will at least preface this with the cowardly caveat that there's
> nobody on this list whose expertise and knowledge I respect, even revere,
> more than that of our Moose.  I was actually astounded by the miracles he
> recently wrought wielding PS on a couple of old slide scans of mine I just
> couldn't manage to make right.

Gee, thanks. After that, how can I take umbrage at anything else you say.

There are several other reasons not to get my toga in a knot:
- I have no firearms. Oddly enough, I have so far lived a full and
satisfying life without them - except for the times I was forced by
Uncle Sam.
- Both my cars, the car my son has here and my mother's car, which I'm
borrowing while I work on one of mine - and to keep her from trying to
drive it - total less horsepower than just one of your trucks.
- It's hard to find my dander, as long as I use the right shampoo, let
alone get it up.
- I'm generally capable of accepting constructive criticism, especially
when it's right. :-)
> But, anyway, here goes.
>
> Although a great bird pose, it looks to me like this shot is on the verge of
> being oversharpened.
I'm not sure it's oversharpening, more like overprocessing, or
mis-processing
> And the bokeh!  I am not a bokeh fiend like some here, so it takes something
> really bad to make me notice, and this is just harsh, jarring, at least to my
> old eyes.

Yeah, that's pretty awful. The bird was kind enough to pose, but chose
to do so to close in front of some busy foliage. And then I paid no
attention to it while messing to try to get the subtleties of the
feathers right and the bokeh got baaaad. Try this on for size
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/LobosCrow.htm>.
> This one looks oversharpened, too, but at least the bokeh isn't startling.

Same general problem as the crow, but at least to my eyes not as bad.
The sparrow was kind enough to pose with background about 1/4 mile
behind it. Even so, the bokeh of the full frame shot isn't nice, but
here's another version.
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/LobosSparrow.htm>.
> I'm probably going to get my clock cleaned, my ignorance exposed, and maybe
> even my ass handed to me for these observations and criticisms, but I know
> Moose will at least do so with class and good humor, something I wish a
> couple of ex-wives had managed.  At least, I don't think he'll be backing up
> a truck while I'm at work and hauling away everything, including the dog.

No dogs, please, canine or photographic. Maybe a nice cat???

The nice thing about this is that I worked out a new technique for
blurring the background without making the transition look funny.

Your pal,
   Moose