[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 22:40:12 +0800
Ok, I just purchased a F30 today for my young son. Yes, it is for him :-) He
is going to take it to Bejing for a 5 days trip for a music performance (he
is playing flute) and he want a samller DC.

Instead of a long review I try to make a short comparison of the image
quality form my point of view:

For measurable noise the F30 is really better than E1 at high ISO but it is
mainly due to built-in noise reduction.

The oversharpening of F30 start to hurt the image quality even at ISO100
(ok, it is slight) same as Olympus C5050 at default mode but with C5050 I
can turn it lower or even off at RAW mode.

The built-in noise reduction of F30 starting to hurt the image quality at
ISO400, see the loss of details on the left of the image (details behind the
transparent fan), E-1's image looks better here. I really don't like this
kind of noise reduction, it make the scene un-natural, the high contrast
details looks very sharp but the lower contrast one looks muddy. This is
extremely bad for forest shoots but ok for outdoor most likely you can use
low ISO.

The image from F30 looks nice at first glance but I really wish it can give
me two extra controls, one is the sharpness level and the other is the
option to turn off the noise reduction. But seems that it is not available
anywhere.

Here is the samples from ISO 100-3200, tripod, self-timer, F30 at highest
quality mode, E-1 at RAW converted with SILKYPIX and save as JPEG with
Photoshop (ISO100-400 with some sharpening):

(the F30 images are around 3MB each and the E-1 images are 1-2MB each)

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/F30-100.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/F30-200.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/F30-400.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/F30-800.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/F30-1600.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/F30-3200.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/E1-100.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/E1-200.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/E1-400.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/E1-800.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/E1-1600.jpg

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/E1-3200.jpg

Here is the last one, E1-ISO1600 processed with Neatimage.

http://www.accura.com.hk/F30VE1/E1-1600n.jpg

Compare with the F30 image, which one do you like?

C.H.Ling