[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 14:41:37 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Moose, I did not realize you had already gotten the F30. Looks to be
> a very nice little camera especially if you can see the LCD in the sun.
>
> One thing I noticed looking a lots of pictures by the F10 and F11 is
> that the sensor seems to have a fairly restricted dynamic range. And
> I think Phil Askey mentioned it on the the F10 review.
(Un?)fortunately, I don't have lots of P&S cameras to play with, the
only other one being the now ancient Can*n S110, so I can't really say
how it compares to others. Certainly it has much less dynamic range than
my DSLRs, but I use them exclusively in RAW mode, so that should be the
case.

The F10 does blow out highlights easily, but holds shadow detail fairly
well, so I usually have it set to -2/3 EV as a default for outdoors
shots. I also usually have it in spot metering mode and often lock
focus/exposure to get the exposure I want based on the live view, then
reframe for the shot. That's one of the reasons I was initially excited
about the live view on the E-330, then disappointed when I found out
that it doesn't show the effects of the exposure settings.

There is no question the F10 isn't capable of capturing really wide
brightness range scenes. In this regard, it's like the S110, but again,
I don't know about other JPEG only cameras. My solution has been
bracketing and later picking the best compromise and sometimes
intentionally shooting over and under exposed versions of the same shot
to combine in post. I'm sure you have seen some examples
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Combos/> &
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/SanSe.htm>.

> What is your take on that with the F30? It seems to have a later generation
> sensor from what the reviewer said.  Any better or worse than similar cameras?

I haven't used the F30 enough to notice a difference yet. I've been
spending too much time doing indoor tests.  :-)   Carol Anne is taking
over the F10, so it is around and I can do some comparisons, if I get
around to it.

Moose