[OM] Intro..

Subject: [OM] Intro..
From: Tim Randles <tim.randles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:42:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone...

Name is Tim, I'm new to SLR photography, I work as an electrician, and have a
long history of photography, but not 35 mm SLR, just thousands of point and
click on an olympus my mom bought for me when she was in Egypt 15 years ago.. I
had a HP 318 digital I bought reconditioned from Tigerdirect.com a couple years
ago, and took it to Afghanistan where it bit the dust, ( literally) It was my
first digital and I fell in love with digital photography there. I took lots of
pics..lots of pics...( I'm civilian, but still managed to tour the country
while on contract to the Canadian Military. I'd go back in a heartbeat, I loved
it there, it was tough and dangerous, but the people, the landscapes, the rocks
and mountains...OMG!

I bought an E-Volt 500 with 2 lens kit as a christmas gift to myself for
working 12 hour days in an exploration camp in the arctic over christmas,
missing my family and the fun...I wanted something significant for my personal
pleasure

While I was at that camp over christmas, the head geologist fell in love with
my camera, ( he was using a Rebel XT), he borrowed my user manual, and then
flew away without giving it back, so now I am really hooped..

I took a lot of northern lights photos there, and still have to run them
through the photoshop thing, some of them worked out pretty nice.. I took about
100 photos, ( if I only knew what I was doing)

I subscribed to this list so I can get some idea of what I am supposed to do
with this beautiful machine. I dont know how to use shutter speeds, f-stops or
what all the numbers mean.  I know I dont have the lenses I will need, so this
is where I plan on learning about them.

I emailed a local community college and asked about fall courses for the
digital photography, they do them all the time, so I will have opportunity to
get some nice photos after I learn more.

 In the mean time, it is a delightful summer time here north of 67, somewhere
300 km south of Bathurst Inlet in Northwest territories north of Lupin Mines,
and I missed an opportunity for images of a heard of 19 Musk Ox that were at
the airstrip this morning, I was there and didnt have the camera. When I
returned with my machine, they were long gone.. :(

 I did manage to get a couple shots of a rainbow during the rain today, there
was a huge double rainbow, 2 spectrums thick on the bottom one( if that is the
right words, I dont know light terminolgy yet). I never saw one so close to the
ground before. by the time I got the camera from my bunk, the double was gone,
and the single was fading fast..

I'm going on a 4 week trip, Egypt and Kenya in January with my wife, Giza,
Mount Sinai, nile cruise, red sea to go diving, then flying to Nairobi, - masa
mara game farms, balloon ride, ogorogoro crater,

It's the trip of a lifetime for us, before I get my sausage plant into full
production, because once I get it up and running, I wont get any time off for a
couple years..

Anyways, that is all from here, it is raining again tonight, and the mosquitoes
are as big as Robins here. last week I saw 2 of them grab the camp attendant
and drag him behind the trailer and start chewing on his thigh. I ran and got
the bear spray and a bear banger and chased them away, he is ok, a flesh wound,
but shook up pretty bad. We had a near miss - critical incedent report and are
not allowed out of the camp without an armed partner anymore.

Cheers.. Tim

Cheers.. Tim Randles - Sausage King

Got Elk?
Hometown Meats