[OM] Re: Welcome, Tim.

Subject: [OM] Re: Welcome, Tim.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 01:13:12 -0700
keith_w wrote:
>> One nice thing that many users on the list
>> have found that many of the older Olympus OM lenses work well with an
>> adaptor on their E series cameras. Unfortunately Canon owners have
>> discovered that too and have bid up the price of some of the nicer
>> wide angle lenses.
>>
> To clarify, are you saying that Canon users can get an adapter to use OM
> lenses on their cameras?

Yes, and the adapters can be had quite inexpensively from China on eBay.
Many people here have various versions, which generally all seem to work
fine. There are also inexpensive adapters for M42 lenses on EOS bodies,
although you must be sure to get the right type, depending on the M42
lenses you have, and may need to cover the back of one type with tape as
insulation. I've done this.

And there are adapters to use all sorts of MF mount lenses on the Oly
E-series bodies, including OM, EF, M42, Nikon, and others.

In all cases, the lenses are used in Aperture preferred or manual modes
and must be manually stopped down. And there are some problems with
metering accuracy, generally at wider apertures. They aren't too
troublesome with digital, where you can see what is happening.
> Not that OM lenses have ever been exactly cheap, but this will certainly
> raise
> the OM lenses prices on line...

Old news! It's not all lenses and it appears the peak has passed, but
some particular Zuikos are worth more now than a while ago. When the
full frame Can*n bodies came out, users found out that Can*n wide angle
lenses, even the best of them, didn't hold up so well under the more
stringent scrutiny of FF, 16mp sensors. Casting about for something
else, they found that some Zuiko and Zeiss lenses were much superior to
the Can*ns. In particular, the 18/3.5, 21/3.5, 21/2 and 28/2 Zuikos seem
to have become favorites of Can*n landscapists. There was a spate of
sometimes clandestine Can*n users who trolled this list for lenses.

There was also a brief flurry of interest in longer Zuikos, like the
90/2, but I think that has mostly died down, as the longer fl Can*n "L"
lenses are fine.

Moose