[OM] Re: available adaptors/300MM

Subject: [OM] Re: available adaptors/300MM
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:34:14 -0600
Tim Randles wrote:
> This is valuable information to me and several others here in camp, a few
> people have seen the E-500 and asked me about DSLR and I plead ignorance, the
> cheif topic of discussion around this is the thousands they spent on SLR 20
> years ago and how to use the lenses in a new camera body, and until I saw
> this website, I didnt know how they could do it. It appears that this site
> gives us all the info how to do it.
>
> Now, on anothe concern of mine, If I am at Masa Mara in Kenya taking pics,
> and want a 300MM lens for the balloon ride/ jeep rides in the parks, what
> kind of lens system should I be looking for? I looked online for a Zuiko
> 300MM and it weighed 7 pounds and cost the same as my mortgage downpayment...
> ( hmmm which one do I *really* want more... dont ask my wife that one...)
> What other practical alternatives could I be using?

Tim:

Well, if you got the two-lens kit for the E-500 I *think* you got, then
you are the proud owner of a DZ (Digital Zuiko) 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 and
40-150mm f/3.5-4.5.  Olympus Four-Thirds cameras have a two-to-one crop
factor, that is, if you mount a 50mm lens from a legacy 35mm SLR film
camera on a 4/3rds system, it's the same as a 100mm on an old-style 35mm
film SLR.

Thus, you already own a "300mm" lens!  Your DZ 40-150 at the telephoto
end is the same as a 300mm lens on a 35mm film SLR, that is, it has the
same field-of-view (around 8 degrees, if memory serves).

Now, if you want to mount an *actual* 300mm lens on your 4/3rds system,
such as the legacy Zuiko 300/4.5, you'll end up with the equivalent of a
600mm lens on your E-500.  Olympus sells the MF-1 adapter to perform
just this trick.  All my legacy Olympus OM Zuikos work quite well in
this fashion, and the longest combo I've tried on my E-1 is the 250/2.0
Zuiko with a Vivitar 2x Macro-focusing teleconverter stacked.  500mm
"true" focal length, equivalent to 1000mm when mounted on a 4/3rds
camera.  Takes great photos, but focusing can be a bit tricky -- some
practise is required.

A warning: hand-holding a lens with an 8 degree field-of-view can be
hard to do, because hand jitter (and every other minor movement) can
appear to be so amplified.  High shutter speeds or the use of a good
tripod or other support is essential for most people.

Garth