[OM] Re: available adaptors/300MM

Subject: [OM] Re: available adaptors/300MM
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:32:51 -0600
Tim Randles wrote:

[snip]

> There is a lot of grizzly and other wildlife activity around where I work,
> and I want to get images of them, but frankly, I dont want to come within 2Km
> of the griz, and the muskox and other critters are so skittish that getting
> close enough to get the whites of their eyes is just about impossible. That
> is one of the main reasons I am seeking to expand the lenses I have.  Kenya
> will be fantastic, but I expect that I will be on display to the animals,
> rather than the other way around ( Far Side-esque).

Yep, it's quite understandable you wouldn't wanna get too close to a
griz.  I've only been close twice in my life, and both times were
hair-raising experiences.

One suggestion: some of the medium-range telephotos for the older OM
System are actually fairly decently-priced on ePay, because they're not
in demand like the super-wides.  A 300mm might not be too bad...

OK, just checked.  There's a 300mm in OM mount on ePay right now, with
about four hours left to go.  Item #160002057524.  Starting bid is
$349.00 U.S., which is probably why the seller's had zero bids so far (a
bit pricey for the 300mm -- he would've got more action had he done an
open bidding process).  Might be worth it for you if the price doesn't
move from that spot -- but like I said earlier, you'd still need the
MF-1 adapter (about $100.00 CDN, give or take) to mount it on your
E-500.  It would give you around a 4 degree field-of-view on your E-500,
like having a 600mm on a 35mm film SLR.  Strictly manual focus of
course, but at least you could still use auto-exposure.

Oh, just for reference: most pros use telephotos that are *much* more
powerful than this, and of course, *much* more expensive.  For nature
photogs, it seems their idea of "telephoto" starts at about 1000mm (35mm
film SLR equivalent).  I've got a buddy who does bird photography, and
his favourite lens is a monster Tamron that looks like a rocket
launcher.  The reason all the pros use such long lenses is because, like
you, they don't want to get too close to the dangerous beasties, and
something like 600mm doesn't normally have enough reach.  In other
words, when you go to Kenya, don't expect to get every shot, even with a
600mm equiv.

> BTW, my Grandfather was a professional photographer, worked for a company in
> Holland that I don't remember the name of.  He flew all over europe in his
> own plane and used Hasselbadt or something like that.  I was supposed to
> inherit the developing studio and all that great camera stuff, but one of the
> family members played games, and I think I got a 1920's tweed suit instead. I
> only met him about 4 times in my life, too bad, I think I would have liked
> what he had to show me about cameras..

Big Dutch company?  Perhaps Philips?  (HOOOOGE electronics
manufacturer.)  Your grandad used Hasselblad, it sounds like -- Hassy's
an excellent marque (though, like all the "legendary" brands, some of
Hassy's stuff was over-rated).  Sorry to hear you didn't get a crack at
that stuff.

Garth
Calgary, Alberta