[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:31:44 -0400
I agree.  I think the announcement of the 30D was a turning point in the
digital development schedule.  The sensor of the 30D is the same as the
20D.  Still 8 MP with no improvement in high ISO noise performance.  All
  the pundits were predicting less noise or maybe 10 MP with the same
noise performance as the 8 MP sensor.  Instead, the 30D added a spot
meter, a bigger LCD and some modifed processing parameters at a slightly
lower price.  Canon had 18 months to make sensor improvements but
didn't.  I think I know why they didn't improve on the sensor.  It's
simple... they couldn't.  At least not anything significant at that
price point.  And maybe not even at a higher price point.

I think the sensors have reached a point of diminishing returns on
photon efficiency.  Want higher ISO and cleaner pixels?  Make bigger pixels.

I think it's good.  I'll probably keep my 5D until it breaks.  It will
take more than a spot meter to get me to upgrade.  Besides, it's already
got a spot meter.  And it's got interchangeable screens too.  Maybe they
could tempt me if they'd put the mirror lockup on an external switch?

Chuck Norcutt