[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:13:30 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> Here, I have to disagree, to the extent that your statement is meant to
> say that the technology doesn't make much difference in how images are
> produced. I agree that 12 mp is overkill for the vast majority of uses -
> IF - you think only in terms of the past limitations of technology. 12
> mp of really clean, pixel sharp sensor, like the 5D, is better than a
> teleconverter, without any additional lens aberrations and without
> losing any speed or having to swap lens bits. 1/4 of 12 mp is 3  mp,
> just in your happy range. So for that 99% of shots you define, a 100/2.8
> lens is, in effect, a 100-200/2.8 lens, with zooming by cropping.

I hope you are just talking about emergency and not real photography.
Compare with a real zoom lens your digital zoom has different OOF effect and
difficult to estimate perspective by looking at the center of a full frame
image. May be it is just me but I'm not interest to use my lens in this way,
slightly cropping due to error in composition is ok but still I will hate
myself for making this error.

> This approach was severely limited with most films by the grain. That
> just isn't true with the best sensors. The whole trade off of
> grain/noise, aperture, size/weight of lenses and DOF becomes
> significantly different than it was. The uses may not change, but the
> solutions do.

Photography is a hobby for me, lossing an image due to incapable tools is
not dead or alive for me. Sometimes I enjoy using limited resources for my
works, when it came out right I will enjoy much more then I did it with real
capable expensive tools. Consider one day everyone is using a 12MP video
camera with a 100x zoom lens, just record anything they see and go back to
select some good one, do you also want that?  Again, not me, honestly say I
enjoy using manual focus Zuikos on the E-1 much more than the DZ lenses. I
appreciate the process of photography not spending money to make it easier
to get a shoot. If there is a full frame digital back for the OM4 I will pay
double the price of a 5D to buy it even if it is only 8MP. Ok, I also enjoy
new technology and appreciate stylish toys so don't challenge me when I have
went for a E-3.

C.H.Ling