[OM] Re: Tripods/ Packs or cases

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods/ Packs or cases
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 06:12:30 -0400
Pricewise, the Canon 200EG backpack from Amazon (actually ships from
Adorama) is one of the best deals going.  It sells for USD 35.94 and you
can get free shipping.
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6TA/sr=8-1/qid=1152089473/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2337705-8026520?ie=UTF8>

I bought one a couple of weeks ago but have yet to try it out.  As to
carrying a tripod is has two strap loops on the bottom and one strap
loop on either side about 2/3 of the way up.  I attached my lightweight
Velbon 343e to the bottom (thanks for the tip Moose) but I'm not sure
I'm going to like that in practice.  The strap buckles are not quick
release and are hard to operate.  I wouldn't recommend not buying on
this basis but I think I will eventually figure out some modification to
more easily accommodate the tripod.  One reviewer commented that he
carries his tripod hooked through the cinch cord of the outer pocket
which has a quick release cord lock.  I've tried that too and didn't
find it particularly easy to get the tripod in and out without hanging
up on leg locks, etc.  But I'll figure out something quick and easy.  At
least one other reviewer suggested a trip to REI <http://www.rei.com/>
for a couple dollars worth of auxiliary straps and buckles to tidy up.

There are 136 user reviews of this bag on Amazon's site and almost
everyone gives it 5 stars out of 5.  One serious caution mentioned by
many people is that the main compartment's double zippers tend to work
themselves open if they meet at top in the middle.  More than one person
has had the zippers open up and spill contents out.  The solution is
simple.  Either pin the zipper pulls together or put them off to one
side rather than meeting in the center.

The other caution is to remove the shiny Canon logo.  Once the logo is
removed it looks like an ordinary student backpack.  Overall, it is
quite well made except for modest zipper quality and probably impossible
to beat for the price.

Chuck Norcutt