[OM] Re: End of the world as we know it

Subject: [OM] Re: End of the world as we know it
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
> As I wrote the day before yesterday in another message-thread
> on HDR, you should give the "LightZone" application a test-
> drive.  I'm just starting to get into it myself, and it's
> quite intriguing.  It really does sorta remind me of the time
> I used to spend in the darkroom,
> without all those nasty chems, of course:

I've been doing some "HDR" stuff in The Gimp and PWP. Obviously
not with all the fancy slider stuff, but it gets you mostly
there.  My biggest problem with what I've seen, though, is the
inadvertant squashing of the mid-tones. However, my guess is
that it has to do with idiotic use and not the program itself.

I've built a couple of brushes in The Gimp that give me some of
that darkroom D/B capability but there is just something about
sticking your hand under the enlarger for a couple of seconds
that just is missing with the computer.  Maybe the ultimate
photo processing program would allow me to do live dodging and
burning using a virtual enlarger--maybe using one of those
copy-stand video cameras.  Just place a test print under the
camera and wave your hand over it during an "exposure". The
camera would know where your hand or dodging/burning masks and
tools are and would apply the changes dynamically to the image.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com