[OM] Re: Tripods/ Packs or cases

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods/ Packs or cases
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 02:18:35 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Pricewise, the Canon 200EG backpack from Amazon (actually ships from
> Adorama) is one of the best deals going.  It sells for USD 35.94 and you
> can get free shipping.
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6TA/sr=8-1/qid=1152089473/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2337705-8026520?ie=UTF8>

Yes, it's certainly a great value. I think AG was the first to recommend
it here. I've had one for a bit. One important thing I did is to remove
the Canon label. Without it, it might look like it's full of books, a
bag lunch, etc. With it, it looks likely to be full of relatively
valuable photo equipment. The plastic name on mine had plastic prongs on
the back sticking through a piece of plastic inside between two layers
of fabric. A little bending back and forth through the fabric broke them
off and it came off leaving just two little round holes.

I don't find a backpack a very useful working bag. Just too awkward to
get off, into and back on for me. I bought mine as a travel carrier for
photo gear and laptop. I was using a slightly larger standard backpack
before, but the padded, adjustable dividers in this bag are better, as I
don't need individual cases for the bits. I use a LowePro PhotoRunner
when out using the gear oor sometimes a used looking, no-name shoulder
bag that will carry more.
> I bought one a couple of weeks ago but have yet to try it out.  As to
> carrying a tripod is has two strap loops on the bottom and one strap
> loop on either side about 2/3 of the way up.  I attached my lightweight
> Velbon 343e to the bottom (thanks for the tip Moose) but I'm not sure
> I'm going to like that in practice.  The strap buckles are not quick
> release and are hard to operate.  I wouldn't recommend not buying on
> this basis but I think I will eventually figure out some modification to
> more easily accommodate the tripod.  One reviewer commented that he
> carries his tripod hooked through the cinch cord of the outer pocket
> which has a quick release cord lock.  I've tried that too and didn't
> find it particularly easy to get the tripod in and out without hanging
> up on leg locks, etc.  But I'll figure out something quick and easy.
Another way is to put the tripod in one of the side pockets with the
velcro flaps and strap it with the side strap above that.  Don't undo
the strap, just slide the tripod down through it, then tighten. It would
be better if the strap were higher up. The problem with strapping it on
uncovered is that it announces what is in the bag.
> At
> least one other reviewer suggested a trip to REI <http://www.rei.com/>
> for a couple dollars worth of auxiliary straps and buckles to tidy up.

I think velcro straps on the bottom would work well for the tripod if
you want it there.
> There are 136 user reviews of this bag on Amazon's site and almost
> everyone gives it 5 stars out of 5.  One serious caution mentioned by
> many people is that the main compartment's double zippers tend to work
> themselves open if they meet at top in the middle.  More than one person
> has had the zippers open up and spill contents out.  The solution is
> simple.  Either pin the zipper pulls together or put them off to one
> side rather than meeting in the center.

Wish I'd read that! It's especially likely when there is a laptop in the
cover adding weight to it as it falls and unzips the zippers.
Fortunately, nothing damaged.
> The other caution is to remove the shiny Canon logo.  Once the logo is
> removed it looks like an ordinary student backpack.  Overall, it is
> quite well made except for modest zipper quality and probably impossible
> to beat for the price.

Oops, wrote instructions above before reading this.

Moose