[OM] Re: Tripods/ Packs or cases

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods/ Packs or cases
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:59:13 -0400

Moose wrote:

> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>>Pricewise, the Canon 200EG backpack from Amazon (actually ships from
>>Adorama) is one of the best deals going.  It sells for USD 35.94 and you
>>can get free shipping.
>><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6TA/sr=8-1/qid=1152089473/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2337705-8026520?ie=UTF8>
>>

> Yes, it's certainly a great value. I think AG was the first to recommend
> it here. I've had one for a bit. One important thing I did is to remove
> the Canon label. Without it, it might look like it's full of books, a
> bag lunch, etc. With it, it looks likely to be full of relatively
> valuable photo equipment. The plastic name on mine had plastic prongs on
> the back sticking through a piece of plastic inside between two layers
> of fabric. A little bending back and forth through the fabric broke them
> off and it came off leaving just two little round holes.

I'll have to do something a little more drastic.  The name plate on mine
is metal.  I was able to bend it a little with my fingers but not much.
  One of the reviewers on Amazon did it by cutting a small slit on the
inside fabric and then pried the two pieces apart.

>>I bought one a couple of weeks ago but have yet to try it out.  As to
>>carrying a tripod is has two strap loops on the bottom and one strap
>>loop on either side about 2/3 of the way up.  I attached my lightweight
>>Velbon 343e to the bottom (thanks for the tip Moose) but I'm not sure
>>I'm going to like that in practice.  The strap buckles are not quick
>>release and are hard to operate.  I wouldn't recommend not buying on
>>this basis but I think I will eventually figure out some modification to
>>more easily accommodate the tripod.  One reviewer commented that he
>>carries his tripod hooked through the cinch cord of the outer pocket
>>which has a quick release cord lock.  I've tried that too and didn't
>>find it particularly easy to get the tripod in and out without hanging
>>up on leg locks, etc.  But I'll figure out something quick and easy.
>
> Another way is to put the tripod in one of the side pockets with the
> velcro flaps and strap it with the side strap above that.  Don't undo
> the strap, just slide the tripod down through it, then tighten. It would
> be better if the strap were higher up. The problem with strapping it on
> uncovered is that it announces what is in the bag.

I just tried this and it didn't work very well.  However, it was
inspiration for something similar that does work well.  I slid all but
one leg of the tripod through one of the side loops and let it hang
there.  I then pulled one of the bottom loops (which are pretty long)
off to the same side and looped it over the bottom of all three legs.
It hangs there quite securely and doesn't flap about or hit my back
side.  The straps can still be fairly loose fitting such that there's
not much hassle getting the tripod in and out and no velcro is required.

YMMV if you have something other than a Velbon 343e.

Chuck Norcutt