[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:42:35 -0400
At 04:59 PM 7/5/2006, Moose wrote:

>And as I've posted before, it turns out that the 5.1mp in an APS-C sized
>central portion of the 5D sensor easily and obviously resolve more
>detail in the subject than the 6.3mp of the 300D sensor
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Canon%205D%20vs%20300D/C300v5D.htm>.

Hi Moose,

I hate to join Walt in the "I don't always agree with Moose" club but
I've wondered about that test since you first posted it.  While I do
see that the 5D image appears sharper than the one from the 300D I
don't see any way to tell which image actually has the higher
resolution.  To do that with any certainty I believe that you would
need to shoot some type of resolution chart.  I did that last
September by shooting a USAF resolution chart with both a 10D (same
size sensor as the 300D) and a 5D.  All exposures were made at the
same subject to target distance and using the same 50mm lens.  My
tests showed that the native resolution (lines per mm on the sensor)
was considerably higher for the 10D as would be expected based on the
pixel pitch of the two sensors.  I don't remember the exact numbers
but the difference was large enough that it was obvious to me that if
I ran out of reach with my longest telephoto that I was better off
switching to the 10D body than cropping a 5D image.

Out of curiosity I just went to the DP Review site and looked at his
resolution testing of the 300D and 5D.  Those tests give a 10% edge
to the 300D in the horizontal direction and a 15% advantage to the
300D in the vertical direction (If my number crunching is
correct).  I'm just wondering if you might rethink your conclusions
if you tried shooting a resolution chart instead of "same size" type face.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA