[OM] Re: [OT] Scanning 8mm movie film to digital

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Scanning 8mm movie film to digital
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:25:41 -0400
Sorry to be obtuse.  If I am to provide useless info, it should at least be
clear.  I am no expert in video conversion as a preface.
My point was that a DVD with MPEG compression is an easy convenient  way to
view the film, though is a lossy encoding technique and should not be
considered a "digital archive". I would think of it as a modest sized .jpg.
The theoretical max resolution of 8mm film (5.16 X4.14 mm at 80 cycles/mm)
should be about 780X 589 and for super 8-- 910 X662.  I suspect the actual
resolution with the lenses used is much lower.  The DV tape resolution is about
720X480 and much crummier after MPEG-2 for DVD playing. The MPEG's are also
terrible to edit due to all the artifacts produced.  Also  DVD's may not be as
robust a storage medium as thought.

I think the Seattle place uses a fairly good 3 CCD camera for capture---it is
not frame by frame scanning, though should be flicker free.  They will also
provide a DV tape. A place in New Mexico claim to have a proprietary technique
for telecine transfer without using a projector.  I have no experience with
that outfit--caveat emptor  http://www.film-to-video.com  It may at least be
worth checking out their tutorial.
I suspect High def video archiving will become more easily available soon as
the ridiculous format war works itself out and as the gear becomes commonplace.
 The HD-DVD players are now in stores, though I don't think Blu-Ray is.  I am
sufficiently challenged by single frame images anyway.
Mike
All on demand. Always Free.