[OM] Re: Storage devices

Subject: [OM] Re: Storage devices
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:27:36 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:
> I would really like to come along and liven up the BS sessions around the
> campfire, but I'm afraid I'd be more a hindrance than I'm worth, having only
> two hiking speeds, slow and stop, and an aversion to load-bearing.  That's
> why we have horses and 4WD.  :-)

Like Walt, I find promise of camaraderie with folks I feel I know and
like quite attractive. Unlike him, all my perambulation parts work fine,
although I'd probably be huffin' and puffin' occasionally.

The accommodations, however, sound like something I might have endured,
er, I mean, enjoyed, without complaint at one time. In the current phase
of my life, I find a good mattress and indoor plumbing strangely attractive.

And then I read something about a 6 1/2 hour boat trip on each end? I am
less prone to seasickness now than when younger, but have no wish to
tempt fate. Vacation time spent calling for my old friend Ralph over the
water doesn't compute. Odd for an ex Coast Guard fellow, I suppose, but
my sojourn there was motivated by powerful factors that trumped mere
seasickness. Besides, I had just spent a year as Commodore of the UC
Yacht Club. Who knew bigger boats would have such an effect on me?
(Oddly enough, I did meet a fellow named Ralph in the CG, and we and our
families were good friends for some time, until he left his wife for a.....)
> ... I'm helping that weekend host a crowd of Cal Berkeley folks who are
> coming to Knoxville for the Cal-Tennessee game.  A bunch of them have been
> popping up on the Vols sports boards and asking questions, so we're going to
> show them some good ol' Southern hospitality and give them a real tailgating
> experience, even on the river with the Vol Navy.  We plan to send them home
> five pounds fatter, hung over, knowing all the words to "Rocky Top," and
> wishing our Volunteers hadn't beat their Golden Bears so bad.
>
> Hey, Moose, get a ticket and come on down.  I don't know if Cal has sold out
> their 8000 ticket allotment yet, but it won't hurt to ask.  Unless you'd
> rather tromp around in the woods carrying stuff, of course.

No, thanks. I'm thinking/hoping we may be elsewhere at that time where
one may tromp around in the woods carrying only camera equipment, eat
real food and sleep in comfort at night.

And truth to tell, my earlier life interest in football dried up and
blew away. Nothing intentional, mind you, but there it is. I can enjoy a
bit of it in the company of those who are into it. My brother Gordon is
the die hard Bears fan, with season tickets every year.

I do have more experience of Vols football than you might imagine. I had
a woman "friend" with multiple degrees from UTenn who lives in
Chattanooga and was a friend of the coach. I'm pretty sure  she was a
cheerleader as an undergrad. She certainly had some useful
qualifications for the job. ;-)    I never attended a game, but watched
some with a rabid fan.

It would be nice to visit Marietta one day, but perhaps not at such a
fraught time. :-)

Moose