[OM] Re: travel kit

Subject: [OM] Re: travel kit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:43:32 -0700
JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
> Hi all,
>       in 3 weeks I leave the UK heatwave for a month in Colorado and Wyoming.
> I am amusing myself
> by trying to pack camera kit into a Billingham 335 bag.
>  Kit so far...Leica M6 with flash, 50mm f2.8 collapsible lens, 90mm f2.8,
> Voigtlander 15mm, 25mm
> f4, and 35mm f2.5
>    Olympus Om4Ti, 17mm Tamron, Olympus 24mm f2.8, 50mm f3.5 macro. I will be
> picking up a CLA'd
> 2n, and an E1, which are both waiting for me.
>  I am unsure about taking a Tamron 90mm macro, Olympus 100mm f2.8, or Tokina
> 35/70 ATX zoom.
>  Also taking E1-Om adapter, filters etc.
>  When "out and about" I will select from the above and put into a much
> smaller bag.
>  Any ideas / comments on the above kit will be carefully considered.

Too many different systems for me, but perhaps you get confused less
easily than I.

Beyond that, your tastes in equipment and type of shots are so different
from mine that it's hard to make constructive suggestions. I'm generally
happy with nothing wider than 28 mm, but can't imagine being happy
without at least a 200 mm lens along. Particularly out in that wide open
country and mountains.

I lean toward zooms on vacation. I'm always with one or more other
people and a lot of lens changing gets in the way of the other enjoyable
aspects of travel. With an OM, I'd be carrying 19-35 and 28-210 zooms
and something for close focus, probably a 50/1.4, doing double duty for
low light, with Vivitar 2x Macro telextender. I do like the 50/3.5, but
the stand off distance in macro is awfully short in the field and it's
slow for non-macro.

With the DSLRs, my lens choice would be similar, 19-35 and 28-300 zooms
and 90/2.8 macro, with 24-85 back-up lens.

Have a great trip!

Moose