[OM] Re: Storage devices

Subject: [OM] Re: Storage devices
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:12:53 -0700
Garth wrote:
> Well, I've got nothing against hauling a laptop along, but really, if
> you're flying around the country (or out -- I hope to be in Britain and
> France again this September), a laptop is simply too damn big.  (Not
> such a big deal if you're driving around the countryside.)  It's also
> not "field-friendly."
>
> And while everyone's extolling the virtues of being able to copy to
> harddrive and burn to CD or DVD immediately for the value of extra
> backups, I figure being able to move in the field is worth the (small)
> risk which a much more portable device might entail.

After much thought and research last year, I opted for the small laptop
route. I like to be able to keep in touch over the internet, so a laptop
is increasingly useful as hotspots multiply. And I do burn DVD backups
at night.

I agree the laptop would be a pain in the field, but I see no reason to
carry it. 4 gb of card storage exceeds any one day total of shots that I
can imagine taking. I don't even want to look at that many.

Back at the ranch, I can download the day's images, edit out the losers
and burn a backup. I've also run a slide show of the days shots for my
companion(s). That's also a good way for me to get an overview of what
I've been shooting, notice what I may have missed and see how I'm doing
on shot selection, composition, exposure, etc.

Moose