[OM] Re: Nature Photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Nature Photography
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Actually, I found the sun in the top of the tree quite
> attractive.  But it also leads me to believe it more likely
> that the image is a fake. The sun is somehow only lighting a
> small part of the tree so it has to be shining throught an
> appropriate sized hole somewhere.  Not impossible but I find
> it unlikley... just like all the rest of the image.

What? I don't understand everybody's desire to discredit this
image. I think it makes perfect sense given the premise of a
forest behind the photographer and the setting sun is shining
through the tops of the trees. The shadow line will be quite
jagged and not a nice smooth straight line.

The photographer and the tree are in the shadow of something
behind the photographer. This shadow extends across the field
touching the base of the woods directly behind the tree. This
shadow line is completely plausable.  For those of you who live
in mountainous areas, this scene is less likely because the
horizon is typically too many degrees above horizontal.  (a
problem we don't have here in the midwest).

Given the extreme wide-angle lens used, the distant forest is
actually very close. This entire clearing may be no larger than
five or six acres.  Assuming the tree is approximately 40 feet
tall, the camera to tree distance is around sixty feet.

In fact, you can guess the distant trees to be about 80 feet in
height and estimating the degrees above horizontal (using the
known radius of the rainbow), of almost 10 degrees above
horizon, the distant trees are about 700-800 feet away. The tall
trees on the left are about 300-350 feet away.  These
measurements are all possible because of the known radius of the
rainbows and guestimates on tree heights.

The photographer is standing in the road at a curve. That's
another justification for the forest behind photographer
argument.

Alas, we believe what we want to believe. I know I've got a
couple "impossible" and "unlikely" photographs in my files that
defy logic.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com