[OM] Re: OT: recovery software for Macs?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: recovery software for Macs?
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 23:22:18 +0200
Le lundi 10 Juillet 2006 23:13, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
> Manuel may be correct but I find it unlikely that the camera actually
> bothers to rewrite every sector on the media.  Such a process would take
> a long time so I suspect that's not what it does.

Maybe.

> Assuming it has only nuked the directory and not the FAT it should be
> possible to reconstruct it.

If I were to write that kind of formater, I would definively nuke both root
dir AND the 2 copies of the fat. That's only a couple of sectors, not a huge
task. For a more than quick format, that is.

> Unless there were intermediate image
> erasures all the data should be sequentially allocated which should make
> the task a little easier.  If the directory has been nuked then the
> first cluster number of each file is missing but smart software should
> be able to back track and figure it out from the FAT entries that
> exist... especially since most if not all references are sequential.

Hum... If there was a mix between resolutions of pictures, data maybe
sequential but the starting / ending clusters won't be too easy to find. And
there maybe gaps...

Assuming this is some type of fat16, I'd certainly make a raw dump of the card
with a linux box (macintosh can be booted on ubuntu) and figure things out
from there with my trusted hexedit. But if the formating is complete...

--
Manuel Viet