[OM] Re: formatting

Subject: [OM] Re: formatting
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:25:00 -0600
>       Well that's disconcerting. I have avoided formatting cards with
> my computer, but I routinely allow Photoshop to delete images from a
> card that I have downloaded: this includes CF, xD, SD and mini-SD cards
> used in three different cameras.

  And I've been using CF cards as generic portable storage for a few
years now with no problems. Formatting could well be trickier, but just
putting arbitrary files on and off the cards, making directories, etc,
hasn't caused me any trouble, and I don't expect it ever will. Any
camera has to be able to handle (ie, ignore) unexpected
files/directories, for the situation where you use one memory card
between multiple cameras.

  One thing that I could never get to work was using a camera as a
(okay, very awkward) portable slideshow device by putting JPEGs back
onto it and then using the TV out -- at least with my Coolpix, the only
images it would open were ones that it had created itself, and all the
fiddling around with EXIF data I tried never got me any further.

  -- dan