[OM] Re: formatting

Subject: [OM] Re: formatting
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:14:12 -0500
        What's puzzling about this whole thread (or at least revealing
my ignorance of high-tech modern electronics) is that I've ever
formatted a memory card of any type. When purchasing all three of the
digital cameras in our household (Oly 700uz, Kodak Easyshare Something
and Oly E-500), the cards were all bought separately. I have never used
the "format" function in any camera; simply plugged the card in and away
I go shooting. A few times I have used the "erase all" function but I
don't think this is the same as reformatting. I have always assumed that
these cards were like pre-formatted diskettes but this thread seems to
indicate that camera makers put their own "juju" on the card. We have a
Nik*n C**lpix we use at work and we routinely use the CF card to carry
non-photo data from work to home computers via Sandisk card readers.
We've had no problems using the card in the Nik*n and I even used it in
an E-300 store model when I was checking it out. Again, no problem. I'm
so confused.

Charlie