[OM] OT - focus screen alternatives for 5D

Subject: [OM] OT - focus screen alternatives for 5D
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:15:49 -0700
Thanks to a tip from Scott, I picked up a "Brightscreen" for my 5D for ~$40
(Thank you Scott!). After using it for a week in a slightly too warm
tropical climate with some slow lenses I have doubts that it is better than
the original plain screen.

Before leaving on vacation I took some shots of my daughter using a 450/4.5
cat lens inside my house at night. The split image seemed to work. I left
the screen in my camera when I went on a vacation trip.

While on vacation I found the 50-250/5 Zuiko quite hard to focus at the
short end. I also found the 350/5.6 cat lens would not give a completly
illuminated split image. The split image circle plus microprism donut in the
bright screen is quite large. When it darkens a big portion of the image
can't be used to judge focus.

Overall I would say a 1-13 screen in an OM works better for slow lenses than
the Brightscreen. If you are using lenses faster than about f4 and have
sharp contrast lines in the view to take advantage of the split image then
the Brightscreen would probably be better than the original plain screen.
I'm hoping to find time to carefully compare the Brightscreen to the
original screen but I suspect that I will go back to the original screen.

-jeff