[OM] Re: OT - Lenses/weight of 5D

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Lenses/weight of 5D
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:08:48 -0700
Jeff Keller wrote:
> <snip>
>
> The same website has some test results of the Tamron 28-75/2.8. The Tamron
> is looking like a possible midrange zoom for the 5D. It is quite light and
> seems to give respectable performance. The other alternative would be the
> 24-105/4 C*non glass.

Hardly comparable lenses. The Can*n goes wider and longer and has IS -
for three times the price.

The Can*n alternative to my eye is the 24-85/3.5-4.5. Significantly
wider, a little longer, a little slower, which doesn't mean much on the
5D, USM focusing and around the same price.

If you are ever up around Berkeley, you are welcome to try mine out. I
find it quite a good lens, but have no idea how it would fare in pixel
peeping against the Tamron.
> http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_e.html
>
> Continuing on with my circular reasoning, if I do look for a wider lens than
> my Zuiko 18mm to mount on my 5D it will probably be a Sigma 12-24.
Another big, heavy lens. :-)       The Zuiko 16 mm with distortion
correction software might be another alternative.

Moose