[OM] Re: What I've been up to

Subject: [OM] Re: What I've been up to
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:04:58 +1000
> Andrew Dacey wrote:
> [...] The shots can be found at
> http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/crossprocess.php apologies for the
> larger photos but I just quick decided to put this page up while I
> was at work and those were the images I had handy. I may make some
> changes to include smaller shots on the page and link to the larger
> ones to speed up the loading.
>
> Feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/crossprocess/dumpster.jpg

Of them all, this one works really nicely with that border.
I'm assuming the subject's a shipping container(?) though it's a
guess that is merely from curiosity - my interest in the strong
but creased verticals works without knowing (ahh, look at the
name of the image, Marc, and all becomes clear...if a little bit
smelly ;-) ). It's a very simple shot (not to see or take -
just in form), that feels exactingly captured by the
photographer. The more I look, the more I like. Maybe a little
more contrast...maybe? What's that thing called that I've kept
a post of Moose's about...LCE - Local Contrast Enhancement I
think it is. That's only a "maybe" though - don't trust my
monitor for giving my a good grounds for that comment.

http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/crossprocess/railing.jpg

This, I do like, though I feel like it calls for more
saturation/warmth in the reds both around and in the white
degraded paint. I think it would look better if the vertical
was *exactly* in the centre in this one (I don't think it is,
but maybe it's an optical illusion :-) ). The "distractions"
in the background I don't find distracting at all - they give
a context, whereas I think a smooth background would take
the simplicity of the composition too far, towards dullness.

http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/crossprocess/vent.jpg

I feel this is the weakest, but only because it's one weakness
for me bothers me so much (perhaps undeservedly). I want those
horizontals to be horizontal (and maybe that top one to "line"/
become the top border, with nothing above it. It's an interesting
shot, but it's hard to see much detail in that brass(?) behind
the grill. I imagine this is just an image size thing though
and it makes me want to see an original, larger print. It's funny
but, unlike the first, my curiosity wasn't aroused as to what
this was until I was trying to think how to mention that "brass"
thing. I just like it, without thinking about what it is.

http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/crossprocess/garage.jpg

I don't know all of the affects of crossprocessing, but note
from your description the higher contrast and saturated colours
of which this shot seems to be a fine example. This is
definitely my favourite. That off-centre foreground vertical
being balanced to center the entire composition, with its
background out-of-focus vertical equals, and swathes of
brightness either side, works nicely, with the chain bringing
the shot forward most of all with it's silouette highlighting
the other major elements. This is my favourite.

One and four are definitely my picks, though as mentioned
I do very much like them all (ie. any of my criticisms are
far outweighed by my admiration). They're inspirational for
me, one who is prone to similar abstraction (if not as well
done) and worries too much about whether anyone else shares
my fondness for it.

Nice to see you Andrew, and glad you are well and nothing
particularly drastic had become of you.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz