[OM] Re: OT - Lenses/weight of 5D

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Lenses/weight of 5D
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:22:24 -0700
Thanks Moose ...

I originally skipped over the 24-85 because I was wanting to get fast lenses
for the bokeh ... but the C*non f2.8 lenses are probably too heavy for what
I would carry. The 24-85 is nice and light, but for the forseeable future,
I'll most often have an OM with me and plenty of zuikos. I'm not sure the
autofocus capability would offer enough to give up the f2.8 of the Zuiko.

The 24-105/4 isn't a lightweight lens (as Johnny pointed out) but it is only
20g heavier than the Zuiko 35-80/2.8 which I carry 75% of the time. I really
doubt I would ever consider getting both the Tamron 28-75/2.8 and the C*non
24-100/4 so they are competing lenses for my $.

With only a day left on the Canon rebate I'll probably end up waiting. My 5D
may have a Tokina or Tamron but will most likely continue living as digital
film for my Zuikos. Hopefully Katzeye's business will be strong enough to
justify getting the equipment to build focus screens for the 5D.

The Sigma 12-24 would probably only see action for real estate photography.
The size and weight are negligible compared to the lighting equipment.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

Jeff Keller wrote:
 > <snip>
 >
 > The same website has some test results of the Tamron 28-75/2.8. The
Tamron
 > is looking like a possible midrange zoom for the 5D. It is quite light
and
 > seems to give respectable performance. The other alternative would be the
 > 24-105/4 C*non glass.

Hardly comparable lenses. The Can*n goes wider and longer and has IS -
for three times the price.

The Can*n alternative to my eye is the 24-85/3.5-4.5. Significantly
wider, a little longer, a little slower, which doesn't mean much on the
5D, USM focusing and around the same price.

If you are ever up around Berkeley, you are welcome to try mine out. I
find it quite a good lens, but have no idea how it would fare in pixel
peeping against the Tamron.
 > http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_e.html
 >
 > Continuing on with my circular reasoning, if I do look for a wider lens
than
 > my Zuiko 18mm to mount on my 5D it will probably be a Sigma 12-24.
Another big, heavy lens. :-)       The Zuiko 16 mm with distortion
correction software might be another alternative.

Moose