[OM] Re: E-500 senior picture

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 senior picture
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:38:50 -0700
LostKase wrote:
>  My sons' girlfriend asked me to take her senior pictures late in May. I was
> still pretty unfamiliar with my E500 but I gave it a go. I was still shooting
> jpeg like an idiot,
No reason at all that I can think of not to shot this kind of subject in
JPEG. Nice limited brightness range, like in a studio, is no challenge
to the range of brightness JPEG can handle. If I were doing studio
shooting, I'd probably use JPEG all the time.
> but I was particulary proud of this grab shot as we headed in for dinner. I
> saw this mural on a nearby wall and had her pose. It was handheld in fading
> light and isn't as sharp as I'd like but she was happy with it.
A very fine portrait. If she were 30 years older.....
> I've got a lot to learn.

Maybe, but not in the case at hand.
> http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/l/o/lostkase/wall.jpg
>
> I played with levels,saturation and unsharp mask a little. I had shot it on
> vivid color which was a little too strong. It's nice to have a good subject
> who isn't camera shy.

If you are going to be doing a lot of messing with a JPEG image, or any
8 bit image, converting to 16-bit, doing the editing, then converting
back, can minimize the oddness that can otherwise occur. I don't know
what else to call the effect of cumulative adjustment to 8-bit images.
They can just start to look less and less natural as editing goes on.
Some are relatively unaffected, others get almost surreal. Of course, I
do sometimes mess about a lot.....

Moose