[OM] Re: Backpacks (was: Tripods/ Packs or cases)

Subject: [OM] Re: Backpacks (was: Tripods/ Packs or cases)
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:14:26 -0600
Marc Lawrence wrote:
>> Moose wrote:
>> The Tamrac Sling bags in theri Velocity seires have a sort of
>> in-between design.
> Yes, they do look very interesting. I might go see if I can hunt
> down the Velocity Series 9 to try out.

  Those are similar to the Lowepro Slingshots -- and the Slingshots are
great for what they do, but not well suited to carrying any sort of
heavy load for a long time (more than a couple of hours, roughly).
Actually, the Velocity 9 looks even larger, so you'd have even more
chance to have it hurt.

  I've got a Slingshot 100, which currently takes my E-1 kit very nicely:

http://www.danielmitchell.net/sgal/index.php?gallery=./E1/Slingshot%20100

  but having taken it along in the bag on a walk for a few hours, I
found that I needed to switch the bag between shoulders after a while
because all the load going on one shoulder was too much, and while
there's a cross-strap as well as the main one, the secondary strap is
just to keep things in place, not to take load like a belt pack.

  Fortunately, the Slingshot does hang from the 'wrong' shoulder okay,
it's just a bit lop-sided feeling when it does, and until the point
where it becomes uncomfortable, it's great, the swing-to-the-front
opening is really convenient.

  And if you'd be putting OM kit into this, you'll be fine -- it's only
because E-1 stuff is that much bigger and heavier that it got to me.

  -- dan