[OM] RAW, JPEG, and confusement (Was: E-500 senior picture)

Subject: [OM] RAW, JPEG, and confusement (Was: E-500 senior picture)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:15:20 +0000
I've got both the E-1 and E-330 set to shoot RAW+SHQ JPEG. Having 500GB of HD
space gives room for lots of big and redundant files. Still, I'm pretty
diligent about taking out the garbage.  Sometimes I'll keep the JPEG of a
marginal shot and dump the RAW file, but I'm probably working on a 40-50
percent total deletion rate. My problem is RAW conversion and editing. I've got
Olympus Viewer, Olympus Studio, PhotoShop CS, Picture Window Pro 4.0, and
Bibble Pro 4.7.

Get the picture? I haven't spent enough time with any of them to really know
how to use it and learn what it'll do. So far, I'm not all that impressed with
PhotoShop CS's conversion of Olympus RAW files. It seems to be short on
features and capabilities. I rate Picture Window Pro slightly better, but
that's probably mostly because I'm more familiar with it generallly.  Viewer
and Studio are pretty much the same, except for some extras in Studio, and
Studio is my default RAW file opener and toucher-upper. Bibble looks promising
and has more bells and whistles than a $500 Hammacher Schlemmer Christmas toy,
but I don't yet know how to ring or toot even half of them.

I probably need to just dig in and learn one really well instead of diddling
with first this one, then that one, and shooting in the dark. I sometimes
accidentally accomplish something great without knowing how, then find I'm
unable to do it again. Very frustrating. Maybe some cold, rainy weekend next
winter I can sit still long enough to halfway figure out at least one of them.

But not today, because since somebody mentioned it again, I'm downloading
RawShooter to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe it'll be more simpler.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --