[OM] Re: Tamron 350/5.6 cat

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 350/5.6 cat
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:57:55 -0400
My guess is that the DOF will depend only on the outer diameter and have
nothing to do with the central obstruction.  Remember that DOF is based
on the "circle of confusion" which is created by a point source of light
being formed from a cone whose diameter is decreasing to a minimum at
the point of focus and then increasing afterwards.  Imagine two dunce
caps placed point to point with the points at the precised plane of
focus.  The circle of consusion is the diameter of those cones at any
point away from the focal plane.  If the circle of confusion on the
final print is less than the visual acuity of your eye the print looks
sharp.

If those cones are formed by a small aperture lens (small outer
diameter) the angle of the cones will be shallow and the circle of
confusion will be smaller leading to greater DOF.

Because of the central obstruction the readings of f/8, f/11, f/16 on
the mirror lens are really light transmission values and are not based
on clear aperture as would be an unobstructed lens.  Therefore, the
actual diamter of the diaphragm is not changing as much as would be
expected in a conventional lens and is having a lesser effect on the DOF
than the aperture reading would indicate.

Chuck Norcutt