[OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:46:19 -0400
Talk about cultural differences in language between "over here" and
"over there", I thought I'd try a quick veracity check on your low
pedestrian accident rates.  One of the first things that turned up was
the following:  "Percentage levels of various types of accident
are supplied for all roads in each borough and for all highway
authorities in Greater London.  Accident rates per site are provided for
zebra and pelican crossings, signal controlled junctions, and
roundabouts in each borough."

Citizens of Massachusetts might surmise that a "roundabout" is a
"traffic circle" (unknown in most of the rest of the US) but would
likely have to surmise that zebra and pelican crossings must be for free
roaming wildlife in the zoo.

I know what they are now but they certainly formed a humorous visual
image when I first encountered the terms.

Chuck Norcutt